A 28-year-old man was electrocuted while trying to steal dry coffee at a factory in Kiambu, local police confirmed.
According to police, the man gained entry into a factory in Kibichoi area where dried coffee beans had been stored.
However, while trying to flee the scene, he touched a live wire which electrocuted him.
Police records show that the man’s body was found at the entrance of the factory holding a sack of coffee he had stolen.
“He touched a live wire as he tried to escape,” a detective told Kenyans.co.ke
Cases of coffee and rice theft are common in Central Kenya as thugs collude with some businesspeople to steal from farmers.
The produce are then sneaked to markets or sold to brokers who get them at discounted rates.
According to the police, the young man was moved to the mortuary pending further investigations.
The incident comes after Kenya Power warned Kenyans of pending risk of electrocution during this rainy season.
Kenyans have also been cautioned not to shelter near live power cable. Likewise, parents have advised to stop children from playing near or under power transmission lines as this could cause electrocution.
A 15-year-old was on Tuesday electrocuted in Nairobi’s Mukuru Slum as he was playing. This came just hours after two siblings died after touching a live wire in Muranga.